Saturday, June 22, 2013

Ornament Review: Up - Disney/Pixar Legends #1 - 2011 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Perfectly captured touching moment from the film
Cons: None really, especially for fans of the movie
The Bottom Line:
Captures great moment
With some wonderful details
Perfect, heartwarming




I Award the First Entry in the Disney/Pixar Legends Series the Ellie 

Last year, I was complaining that I didn't have an ornament for the Pixar movie Up on my Christmas tree.  Someone must have been listening because Hallmark released on this year.  Even better, they made it the first in a new series based on the characters in the Disney/Pixar films.  I couldn't be happier.

While there are several possibilities that would have been great for this ornament (like the house floating under balloons), they went with Carl and Russell standing side by side smiling.  It's a scene from the end of the movie.  Carl, the elderly gentleman, is standing behind Russell, the young kid in the Wilderness Explorer program.  (Think Boy Scouts).  Carl has just awarded Russell "The highest honor I can bestow - the Ellie," named after his late wife, which is a grape soda bottle cap pinned to Russell's sash of pins.  Russell is obviously proud of it since he is holding it out for us to see that particular award.

My first thought when I saw the ornament was disappointment.  I really wanted the house with the balloons or one with Dug the dog.  But that quickly vanished as I really studied the ornament.  The moment they picked is one of the most emotionally satisfying moments of the movie.  I realized how much I liked the design when I found myself smiling at it.

And you can't help but love the detail.  While made out of plastic, they've given some texture to Carl's coat and his hair and eyebrows.  It looks amazing.  They even have all of Russell's badges on his sash, although they are so small it's hard to tell what they are.

Carl and Russell are standing side by side and form an almost steady base for the ornament.  It tips some of you wiggle it, but I think it would take a good jolt to knock it over.  Carl's shoes hold the copyright information and the 1 in a Christmas tree honoring it as the first in a new series.

The hook for hanging the ornament is in the top of Carl's head.  (No wonder he's so grumpy during much of the movie.)  The ornament hangs straight.

Since I love the movie it's based on, you'd better believe I will treasure this ornament.  Up is going to be in my collection for years to come.

And if you love Disney and Pixar, you'll want to check out the rest of the Disney/Pixar Legends series.

Original Price: $17.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.